Monday, August 25, 2014

Mayor meeting and the law....

"I think you have posed the question correctly. It really is in two parts – 1) what does the law require/permit and 2) what does public policy demand, but not require?

Although as I think you know I am not an NC lawyer, I am a lawyer with a career in this world of access to what I like to call people, places and papers.

What I would like to see in the case of the mayor meeting last week is a full accounting of all costs. That, too, comes in two pieces – 1) the out-of-pocket cost to the Town, and added to that something very important – the fully allocated cost of the time devoted to this both at the meeting and in preparation (i.e., the days/hours of their salaries), and 2) the value of any contribution made by anyone outside the Mayor and Town Council and Town staff by way of direct gift or reduced cost (i.e., preferential charges, lower than normal by those catering hosting portions of the meeting).  I’d like to see a full accounting of all of the above.


As to the law, my general sense is that these closed sessions did not violated the NC open meetings law, but it really depends on the unknown contents of the closed meeting discussions, how many Council members were in the room, etc. I think it would be a stretch on the law. As far as public policy, I think Mark SCHULTZ’s Roses and Raspberries in the Chapel Hill News made the case very well, and which is why we especially ought to receive the accounting above and a detailed report on attendance and matters discussed."

No comments:

Post a Comment